Saturday, December 19, 2009

Cruel words

We were at the football game the other night (9ers won over the Cardinals -- yay!!) and I went down to the concession area to get some hot chocolate. It was around 7:30 at night and I take my last pill at 6:00, so I was starting to move a little slower, and walk a little "funnier". These 2 very young men brushed past me; I could tell they were a little frustrated at my pace. As they walked on, I heard one say to the other, "well, she IS retarded, you know".

"Retarded"? First off, that's not a word one should attach to another person under any circumstance, in my opinion. Second off, why would someone assume that another person is mentally challenged just because they are physically challenged? Or vice versa for that matter.

Well, as I said they were very young (late teens, early 20's), and I don't think he meant it in a bad way. His tone of voice was more like he was telling his friend to cut me some slack. But as I sit here waiting for my meds to kick in and trying to ignore the twisting pain in my foot and ankle from the dystonia, I feel a little discouraged about the state of Parkinson's awareness.

Oh well, we just need to keep on working on it!

4 comments:

Bob Kuhn said...

Marian;

This ignorant language can be very discouraging. Although so far I have not heard any comments out loud, I have felt the stares and questioning looks.

I hope you will soon be encouraged! I am confidant that we can live positively despite, or even because of, our PD. I was diagnosed 9 months before you (I am 57), and my father died from complications that arose from or with the PD. I, like you, have taken to blogging to share the journey. Along the way I have learned a great deal and met some great people (some through my blog, www.positivelyparkinsons.ca).

We have a lot to deal with you and me, but I know we can take this adversity and, without hiding behind denial, see it as a challenge, an adventure.

Thank you for sharing your pain. I follow your blog and will remain as supportive as I can be from cyberspace.

Fellow PWP,
Bob

Marian said...

Thanks so much, Bob! The support of people like you is so helpful. So is sharing the journey, as you say.

Anonymous said...

Our world is so sad in many ways. Yet in it there are bright lights such as yourself Marian who are making a difference to enlighten those darkend ones around us! Hang in there kiddo! Your awesome!

matina said...

i was diagnosed of parkinson disease 5 years ago,i started azilect,then mirapex as the disease progressed in february last year,and i started on parkinson disease herbal medicine from ultimate life clinic,few months into the treatment  i made a significant recovery,almost all my symptoms are gone,great improvement with my movement and balance,it been a year and life has been so good for me,reach them through there website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com

About Me

My photo
I'm a lucky lady. I have a wonderful husband of 27 years, a fantastic 25 year old son (I'm so proud of him!) a loving and supportive family, the best friends in the world, a job that I love, and... Parkinson's Disease. I was diagnosed in September 2006. That was a jolt, but I'm learning to deal with it.