Saturday, May 9, 2009

Waking up with Old Man Parkinson

A typical morning for me:

Up at 4:00 or 4:30. Shuffle, shuffle, shuffle to the kitchen. Take my Zelapar, it dissolves instantly, leaving a grapefruit tang in my mouth. Notice that the dog is following me around, drooling. Feed the dog. Get my study drug out; a packet of white powder, mix it with juice. Take a vitamin B12 and my first Stalevo (levadopa, carbidopa, entacapone) of the day. Amazed that I know what all those things are now. Shuffle, shuffle, shuffle. Bent over like an old lady. Now the dog has finished his breakfast and wants a treat. Get the dog a treat, but try not to do it right over my slippers, because I prefer them free of dog drool. Shuffle, shuffle to my pill box laying on the counter. Fill it with my pills for the day: another Stalevo for the 8:00 a.m. dose, plus 4 Requip XL pills. 5 more Stalevo tablets for 8:00, 10:30, 1:00, 3:30, and 6:00. Put the pill box in the special shoulder bag I made for it. The bag is getting worn now. Time to go downstairs and make coffee. Shuffle, shuffle... step carefully down the stairs. Look out for the cat zooming under my feet. Forgot my slippers upstairs; shuffle, shuffle, shuffle back up to get them. Back downstairs with warmer feet. Make the coffee, then sit at the computer, exhausted, and wonder how I'll get through the day. Waiting for the levadopa to kick in, I remind myself that so many people have worse things to worry about. I am a lucky person. I know this, but in the morning I forget sometimes.

I'm so glad I have a dog to drool in my slippers, a cat to trip me on the stairs, a house in the woods with beautiful trees all around and the most wonderful man in the world to love me.

1 comment:

Victoria said...


My father was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease at 57.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle, things were tough for me, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure from ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimate life clinic they walked us through the proper steps,i recommended this www.ultimatelifeclinic.com to anyone who needs there help.

About Me

My photo
I'm a lucky lady. I have a wonderful husband of 27 years, a fantastic 25 year old son (I'm so proud of him!) a loving and supportive family, the best friends in the world, a job that I love, and... Parkinson's Disease. I was diagnosed in September 2006. That was a jolt, but I'm learning to deal with it.